Leaves and debris have a tendency to build up in your gutters and downspouts. When not cleaned out, this debris prevents water from flowing freely and can cause damages to your roof and fascia board.
So how often should you clean out your gutters and downspouts? AT LEAST once every year, but it would be a good preventative maintenance habit to do so during the spring and then again in the fall. Because fall is here, we’ve offered some helpful tips for tackling your gutter clean out:
- First things first- safety is the most important. Make sure that your ladder is the right size and that you and the ladder are properly tied off.
- Start with the areas near a downspout.
- Remove the large debris first
- Flush out the gutters by running a hose at the end opposite of the downspout.
- If water is not draining, the downspout may be clogged. Try using a hose attachment with more pressure or use a plumbers snake tool to clear the blockage.
We understand that cleaning your gutters is a daunting task. It can also be very dangerous if you’re not comfortable on a ladder. To avoid the risk, call your premier Florida roofer, Gulf Western Roofing. In fact, our Roof Assurance Maintenance Program (RAMP) includes a gutter and valley clean out with the purchase of our white or blue key levels. We’ll be able to clean your rain gutters quickly and safely, keeping your roof protected from rainwater.